Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2010

To D or Not to D

Weighing heavily on my mind since my recent physical examination and Knox's 4 month check-up, is something I'd never considered much before: Vitamin D. The nurse at Knox's check-up briefly mentioned something about asking the Dr. if he would need a supplement, but, of course, I had a list of questions stored in my head to ask the her already and adding something to that list just a few seconds before entering the exam room, it was bound to get lost in my dwindling memory during the 5 minutes of rushed conversation before the Dr. changes the subject and hurries from the room to her next patient. And it did get lost. And I thought about it as soon as I got home. There is always one thing I forget to ask about when I take him and this time that was it.

I had a physical exam for a new job just a few weeks later and found out that my D levels were very low (24.2 with a goal of 50) and that I needed a 2000 unit supplement 2x/day. Apparently this is common for nursing mothers like myself. Before allowing myself to succumb to doctor's orders, I began my usual research and read that D overdose can be toxic and just as damaging, if not worse than a deficiency. But the research regarding this topic is confusing. Most sites I read said that overdose cannot occur only from exposure to the sun but typically occurs only when people over-supplement. Recommendations from The Institute of Medicine recommends only 50-200 IUs per day, but other experts are starting to recommend up to 2,000. This article made me feel less worried about the overdose as well, stating that it would take much much more than I am taking to even come close to toxicity and, even then, no cases have been proven (http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml). I discovered that since my levels were so low I needed the extra units in order to boost those levels back to normal and will be tested again in a couple of months to see if this has helped.

I am starting to feel like I have more focus and energy since I've started the supplements but now I'm very concerned about Knox's intake. Is he getting enough? I try to make sure he gets at least 15 minutes of sun exposure every day (since that is the safest way to absorb vitamin D), but in the winter that is getting harder and harder to do. So I called my Dr. last week...this is a tedious process, as I have to call the nurses line, ask them to have the Dr. call me and then be available every second of the rest of the day in hopes that she calls me back. Well, of course, I missed the call back - which was at 6:00 p.m., as I'm bathing the baby. The nurse had explained my concerns briefly to her and she replied on my voice mail that I could purchase baby vitamin D over the counter, naming a few brands that made it. She also said "if you have any more concerns, please call me back tomorrow." Which I did and have yet to hear back (almost a week later). I guess I'm thinking he should be tested before I possibly over supplement him. I have no idea what dosage to give him, as she didn't recommend any dosage on her message. I hate to make an appointment for something that could be answered over the phone...if I could get her to call me back!

As I reflect on this worry, one in a long row of worries over the past 5 months, I wonder if it will rapidly disappear, solve itself and be forgotten like all of the others. It's odd and hard to explain, but each time I encounter a problem (especially health related) with Knox, it becomes my whole world until it's fixed. And then, like smoke in the wind, it just disappears. And when I think about all of these concerns I had and how much of my time they consumed (reflux/GER, teething, thrush, side-sleeping, co-sleeping, sleeping in general, milk supply, croup...just to name a few) it seems crazy to me because of how insignificant it all is now. But still, until I speak with the Dr., I know this whole D factor is not going to go away...and even then I have to either trust what she says or find my own truth and figure out the best way to give Knox what he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment